Isko Moreno & Honey Lacuna Photo shows Manila Mayor Isko Moreno and Vice Mayor Honey Lacuna being informed by Sta. Ana Hospital Director Dr. Grace Padilla regarding the specimen taken from a patient. Photo by JERRY S. TAN

Isko: No lockdown in Manila

July 25, 2021 Itchie G. Cabayan 160 views

MANILA has had five confirmed Delta variant cases three weeks ago.

Mayor Isko Moreno said this information was relayed to him during a meeting he held with metro mayors and Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) and health authorities, adding there is no plan to impose any lockdown despite the news.

“Salamat sa Diyos at itong lima, as of today (July 24), mukhang ligtas na. Meron na lang kukumpirmahin but the content taken from them was confirmed by genome and sent kanina lang,” Moreno said.

The mayor identified the areas with one case of Delta variant as Sampaloc, Parola, Gagalangin (Tondo), Apacible in Ermita and Taft Avenue.

Moreno advised the residents to be extra careful if they hail from the said areas saying the danger is always there and everybody has to continue being responsible.

“Paalala sa limang lugar ‘yan ang bagong case. Ligtas sila, ‘yung iba positive pero asymptomatic at sa awa ng Diyos, wala pang napaulat na bumaba ng CT (cycle threshold) value,” Moreno said.

According to Moreno, the Manila Health Department headed by Dr. Poks Pangan did what it had to do and that fortunately, the patients’ loved ones tested negative and those whom they have come into contact with and who were positive have recovered.

The mayor expounded on the importance of the CT value, saying: “|Ibig sabihin, ang cycle threshold value pag below 20 kailangan ipadala sa genome. Kapag 20 up, regular SARS-COV2. Pero either way, pareho lang ng epekto na pwede kayo malagay sa bingit kung nakuha mo ay variant. They are all deadly dahil walang cure.”

He said though that the Delta variant is more worrisome in that it spreads faster and thus threatens to clog up hospitals once again.

“They are both deadly. Mas delikado lang ang Delta dahil mas bilis makahawa at baka mabulunan muli mga ospital. Patuloy ang pagbaba sa Maynila pero dapat responsable pa rin di pa rin pwede umalagwa dahil sa isang kaso, maaring masira ang lahat,” the mayor stressed.

Moreno said he was informed by Sta. Ana Hospital Director Dr. Grace Padilla that a specimen taken from a patient in the said hospital had a CT value of below 20 meaning it should be forwarded to the genome center for analysis if it is a variant or not.

“Di na tayo magtuturo. Let’s just focus on the tasks of continuing to lower the possibility of infection; prepare the city’s capacity to withstand any surge in terms of facility, medicine, oxygen and all other things needed and continue to behave and learn to live responsibly, with COVID in our midst,” he said.

Meanwhile, he stressed that he does not intend to enforce any lockdown as this would make many residents go hungry.

“Wala sa antenna ko ‘yan. Wasak na ang ekonomiya, magugutom kayo,” he stressed, with a call for the residents to just behave responsibly and get vaccinated at once.

Moreno expressed confidence that the city is well ahead so far in terms of capability and capacity against any infection.

AUTHOR PROFILE