Default Thumbnail

Focus on Abra after big quake

October 26, 2022 People's Journal 259 views

PRESIDENT Ferdinand R. Marcos yesterday assured the public that concerned government agencies are closely monitoring Abra and nearby provinces hit by a strong quake.

“We’re all monitoring,” Marcos said in a chance interview at the Manila Hotel after a magnitude 6.4 earthquake jolted Lagayan town in Abra province on Tuesday evening.

Marcos said the government is focused on assisting affected individuals by providing them with food and temporary shelter.

“We do not have the critical problem when it comes to food and shelter. That is the most important part of the relief that we have provided now for the people affected by the earthquake,” he said.

The strong quake struck Abra and was felt in nearby areas, including Ilocos Norte and Ilocos Sur.

The quake has so far generated 409 aftershocks as of 10 a.m. Wednesday. At least 81 of the recorded aftershocks were plotted or located, and five were felt.

Marcos, in a Twitter post, said the departments of Public Works, Social Welfare, Energy, and Local Government are now assessing the situation in quake-hit areas and are ready to help the affected individuals.

“As aftershocks continue, we remain in coordination with DPWH for the inspection of roads and buildings, DSWD for relief, DOE for outages and DILG for monitoring,” Marcos said.

Marcos also called on the public to stay safe and vigilant.

“Everyone is advised to keep out of tall structures,” he said.

Marcos said he is also monitoring the developments in Abra and other areas hit by the quake.

At least five persons were hurt after the strong earthquake rocked Abra and nearby provinces in Luzon, according to the initial report released by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council on Wednesday morning.

Damage to infrastructures and houses, as well as power interruptions, were also reported. Philippine News Agency

AUTHOR PROFILE