Rodrigo Duterte

Duterte to Cebu: Fellow testing rules on inbound travelers

June 14, 2021 People's Tonight 221 views

CNN Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has directed Cebu province to adhere to the protocols for returning overseas Filipinos set by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases, Malacañang said on Monday.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque made the announcement, quoting Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea, during his regular virtual briefing.

Under IATF rules, arriving Filipinos must stay in a quarantine facility for ten days, and undergo RT-PCR testing on the seventh day of their return.

Cebu had been conducting tests on returning nationals immediately upon their arrival. Returning residents of the province are allowed to proceed home after a negative RT-PCR test result and will be tested again on the seventh day while undergoing home quarantine.

“The last extension was just a preparation for full implementation of that decision,” said Roque, referring to Medialdea’s order to extend the diversion of flights headed to Mactan-Cebu International Airport to Ninoy Aquino International Airport which was in effect from June 5 to 12.

He added that Duterte “also considered” the Department of Health’s critique in making his decision.

Duterte and Cebu Governor Gwen Garcia earlier met to discuss the province’s differing protocols for inbound travelers.

AUTHOR PROFILE