ASG NCRPO chief P/MGen. Vicente Danao and SPD Director P/BGen. Jimili Macaraeg (left photo) presents the two Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) members to media in a press briefing. Photo courtesy of SPD-PIO

2 ABUs behind beheadings fall in Taguig

July 13, 2021 Edd Reyes 491 views

JOINT operatives of the Southern Police District (SPD), National Capital Region Police Office Regional Intelligence Division (NCRPO-RID) and Taguig City Police nabbed two members of the terrorist Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) in Upper Bicutan, Taguig City.

In a press briefing held at the SPD Command Center in Fort Bonifacio on Tuesday, NCRPO chief P/MGen. Vicente Danao, Jr. and SPD Director P/BGen. Jimili Macaraeg said Taupik Galbun, 40, of Block 124 Lot 9 Phase 8 Sitio Imelda Upper Bicutan and Saik Galbun, 38, were arrested on Saturday, July 10, on the strength of an arrest warrant issued by the courts against them for kidnapping and serious illegal detention with ransom.

Danao said Taupik, alias “Pa Wahid” was with ASG leader Isnilon Hapilon and Bakal Hapilon when they kidnapped two Canadian nationals, a Norwegian and a Filipina in Samal Island in Davao on September 21, 2016.

Taupik was seen in a photo released by the terrorist group in the act of beheading one of the foreigners.

The NCRPO chief said Taupik was involved in beheading Primitivo Falcansantos, Crisanto Suela and Guillermo Sobero who were kidnapped by the group of Hapilon in Sulu and Basilan.

He added that Taupik was also involved in the kidnapping of six members of Jehovah’s Witnesses in August 20, 2002 in Patikul Sulu,where two of the victims were beheaded while four were rescued by the military.

When authorities served the arrest warrant against Taupik issued by Pasig City Regional Trial Court (RTC) Judge Toribio Ilao Jr, of Branch 266 at around 10:50 p.m., Saik Galbun alias “Pa Tanda”, who has a standing warrant of arrest issued by Pasig RTC Judge Nicanof Manalo, Jr. of Branch 161, was with him.

Danao said Pa Tanda was first seen by witness at Nangka, Patikul, Sulu on September 6, 2002 while having a conversation with the group regarding the ransom money they were asking for the release of the Jehova’s Witness members.