NATIONAL Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) director, Brigadier General Jose Melencio C. Nartatez Jr. has committed to provide top quality service to Metro Manila residents by further improving their training and equipment to respond to the day-to-day challenges of keeping peace and order as well as enforcing the law.
Nartatez said he is ensuring the continuous upgrading of the NCRPO’s capability to address the emerging demands of public safety and further improve their frontline services.
The official added that during the recently conducted NCRPO 2nd Management Review, different Metro Manila police units were found to have fully complied with the recommendations provided by the audit team.
He explained that opportunities for improvement recommended by the audit team include the renovation of their Records Management Building; the increase in the number of issued firearms recovered from NCRPO personnel who are facing criminal and administrative charges; and the inclusion of corrective measures and target dates on the actions taken as a result of complaints against NCRPO men forwarded thru the Isumbong Mo Kay RD hotline.
The audit team also recommended an adjustable schedule of three months that will be applied on sampling technique/plan for the processes; the need to have additional Internal Quality Auditors; and the proposed Security Operations Center and other ICT initiatives whgich have all been addressed.
Nartatez said they are rallying to attain professional excellence as they are committed to the Philippine National Police’s (PNP) initiatives and other efforts to further raise the bar of police excellence in line with the PNP P.A.T.R.O.L. Plan 2030.
The NCRPO chief added they are not only building the best organization possible to uphold the law but are also on they way to attaining a better governance system, all aligned with PNP chief, General Benjamin C. Acorda’s Five Focused agenda to have a more effective and efficient police force.
Nartatez told all his district directors, chiefs of police and head of different NCRPO offices to seriously take the feedback both from their internal and external audiences, address the deficiencies noted and fortify the strong points to build on strengths.
“Take note of suggestions and resolve the requirements and concerns to obtain a better result of evaluation. I am confident that we will be able to reach our aim of maintaining our position as an ISO-certified organization with our combined efforts and hard work. May we never forget that nothing that is truly excellent is ever attained without planning, perseverance, and dedication,” the NCRPO chief said.
VOWS TRANSPARENCY, FAIRNESS TO ALL
The NCRPO chief also vowed there will be no ‘whitewash’ in the ongoing investigation into the case of a teenager who was mistaken for a crime suspect and shot to death by a group of policemen in Navotas City last August 2.
He joined Acorda and Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Benjamin ‘Benhur’ C. Abalos Jr. in committing to ensure that the full might of the law will be applied on the policemen who committed the grave mistake.
The official also said that the accused are already in jail and won’t be receiving any ‘VIP treatment.’
Acorda earlier condoled with the family of 17-year old Jerhode ‘Jemboy’ Baltazar and vowed justice for the victim and his loved ones.
The victim was shot while fleeing a police operatio in Barangay North Bay Boulevard in South Kaunlaran, Navotas City to capture a suspect involved in a shooting incident in the area.
A case for reckless imprudence resulting in homicide has already been filed against six Navotas policemen involved in the tragic shooting incident before a local prosecutor’s office.
The accused admitted they mistook the teenager for a murder suspect but did not intend to kill him at that time. All six had been disarmed and placed under restrictive custody at the Northern Police District headquarters in Caloocan City on orders of NPD director, Brigadier Gen. Rizalito G. Gapas.
An administrative case for grave neglect of duty in relation to command responsibility has been filed against two Police Commissioned Officers of the Navotas City Police Station to emphasize the PNP’s commitment to address accountability at all levels, he said.
Addressing the broader context of recent incidents, the PNP chief underscored the organization’s dedication to professionalism and accountability.
“The PNP maintains its commitment to upholding the utmost standards of professionalism and accountability within its ranks. These incidents are being treated with the utmost seriousness and comprehensive investigations are already underway to ensure that justice is not only served but also that the individuals responsible are held fully accountable,” he said.
Acorda maintained that transparency remains a cornerstone of the PNP’s response to these issues. “We acknowledge the public’s valid concerns and reaffirm our dedication to sharing the findings of these investigations in a fitting and informative manner,” he said.
Furthermore, Acorda said the PNP is taking proactive steps to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.
The organization, he explained is undertaking a comprehensive review of training protocols and procedures to enhance law enforcement operations’ effectiveness while minimizing the risk of errors or misconduct.
The public’s continued cooperation and support are acknowledged by the PNP as they address these pressing issues, he added.
“Rest assured, the PNP remains determined in its dedication to serve and safeguard the welfare of the Filipino populace,” the PNP chief assured.
Gapas told the Journal Group that he want all members of the Navotas City Police Station to undergo a refresher course on Police Operational Procedures and human rights in the wake of the deadly shooting incident.