August 15, 2022 People's Tonight 70 views

Zimbabwe [woman]

Cynthia Hind reporting. In November 1996 I went to Bindura, some 90 km from Harare, to interview a 17-year-old named Lloyd Karambakuwa, a student at the Hermann Gemeiner Secondary School, studying for his 0 levels. This is what he told me.

At between 1.00 and 1.30 on March 6, 1996 he woke up and because he knew it would be quiet at that hour, he decided to do some studying for his exams. Whilst thus engaged, he heard a clicking sound, not unlike a telephone dialling except there are no telephones in this area. It continued for some minutes, so Lloyd decided to check what it could be. He opened the front door and looked outside. He could hear the sound coming from up the road and when he glanced in that direction, he witnessed something very strange. He quickly went outside and hid behind a hedge to get a better view. He was able to observe a small figure, about 1 metre high, with a head like a rugby-ball, dressed all in white overalls. On its back the creature had a small satchel, attached to which was an aerial with a flashing red light. Lloyd was terrified. He told me he was “asphyxiated with fear”, and ran back into the house, jumped into bed and covered himself with his blankets. He slept fitfully for the rest of the night.

At 6.00 the next morning he went to look where the creature had walked and found several footprints which he could not identify and which he attributed to the creature. When he arrived at school he told his friends about seeing a ghost in the night, but one of his friends suggested that it was a UFO. Lloyd is now under the impression that the creature is called a UFO.

Opposite Lloyd’s house is a teaching centre guarded at night by a security firm. My enquiries led me to one of their guards, a woman named Kumbadzai, who had been on duty at the centre when she saw what she called a ghost. She was so disturbed by this event that she had found herself another job elsewhere. Kumbadzai told me that she had heard clicking sounds and been frightened, had hidden behind a wall and seen a figure in white. It passed her twice, and the second time the figure had been covered in “rainbow colours”.

Zimbabwe [man]

My name is Johan Reitman and I farm near Feathersdorp, 150 km from Harare. I am 31 years old. On 5th February 1996 I woke up from a bad dream just after midnight, when I heard a car go past. I got up and looked out of the bedroom window, which faces the front of the farm. I watched as two cars passed each other, a strange sight, as there are usually few vehicles to be seen, and none at night. One car pulled into my gate and I thought immediately, “Oh no. those guys are coming to pinch my new engine on the borehole”.

I rubbed my eyes and face to make sure I wasn’t still asleep, and I looked at the car again. It was long and wide and made a low humming sound. I could see lights at the back, a row of red lights, and a front light which shone high enough to illuminate the tree tops. This car, or object, stopped at my gate for a good 30 seconds and then drove on, as if the gate had been opened. And that was it: it was gone!

I took my torch, my rifle, four farm workers and my dogs, and we went out to the gate. Despite the fact it had just rained, there were no tyre tracks or human tracks on the road. As we approached the gate, I could feel heat coming up from the surface of the road, a really oppressive heat radiating from the ground. Even my ears felt flushed with the heat and my workers and I were soaked with perspiration. It was about 12.30 hours by now, so when we found nothing further we all went back home.

It was only the following morning that it occurred to me that when we reached the gate, it was closed. This meant the car had disappeared through a closed gate, because I had been watching it when it disappeared and the gate hadn’t moved.

The next day I sent one of the farm workers to fetch some sheep who were lost in the bush, and on his way back he said he saw an object straddling the road. By the time he reached the spot, it was gone, but strangely enough, the sheep would not walk over the area where the object had been. Instead, they divided around it.

My workers were convinced this was a ghost, and because I am a Christian myself, I believe it was a phantom or spiritual phenomenon of some sort. I don’t believe in UFOs.

South Africa [man]

My name is Credo Mutwa. There are things that fly through the night that you call UFOs, which we in Africa call Abahambi Abavutayo, “the fiery visitors”. Long before they were heard of in other parts of the world we, the people of Africa, had contact with these things and the creatures inside them. I can only speak with certain constraints because we are not allowed to talk in detail about these sacred things, or else the star ships will stop visiting us. There is a creature called the Mutende-ya-ngenge, the grey or white creature with a large head, whose face is chalk-white with large green eyes that go around the creature’s head, so it can look at you over its shoulder. The Mutende sometimes captures human beings, cuts them open, then closes them up again and makes them forget what has happened. This is only discovered if the person is put into a trance, then he remembers. I was once abducted myself, by fellows like little dolls. They paralysed me, then painfully examined me by sticking instruments up my nostrils. A female creature seduced me but it was very cold and unpleasant, a feeling of being violated. I then found myself back in the bush, and when I approached my village all the dogs tried to attack me and I had to be rescued. I then learned I had been missing for three days. There are many creatures who are watching over us curiously, and I think they are regulating our development for some reason.


Japan [man]

My name is Tatsumi Tanaka. I am 42 years old and the owner of the beauty parlour in Annaka-City, Gunma Prefecture. Last Sunday, October 23, I have seen a UFO and it was the first time such a shocking matter happened to me. I never believed that I would have such an experience, but surprisingly, it happened to me. I was on the second floor of my house and casually looking out the East window, when I caught sight of a white object, rather big, the shape impossible to describe, rising softly and perpendicularly from the surface of the ground. We can see Mount Akagi in the North Northeast direction, and it was in this direction that the UFO rose, but I could not tell how far away it was. It was about 10 o’clock in the morning. I wondered what it was. I thought at first sight it must be an airship or a balloon. I strained my eyes to see better but could not understand what it was.

After rising straight up, it stayed for a while at a constant height and seemed to become blurred outside. It then turned into the oval shape that is familiar to us from TV or magazines. It was the same object but not the same shape as before, but the outline was not clear. Soon after it moved to the right at a fast speed. It looked like a low-altitude flight but it all happened so quickly, and then it just disappeared in the cloudless blue sky. I was so shocked, I felt out of my mind. This thing was so huge, but it disappeared just in a moment. I tried to explain what I saw to my wife and child who were right beside me but I couldn’t. I just pointed and could only shout out in surprise. My wife was very annoyed and said that everyone cannot see UFOs, only some people do and some don’t. By then it had disappeared. I was so excited that I went outside with my daughter and searched the sky but it was too late. I still can’t believe I have had such an experience. I will never forget that movement and that speed, something beyond common sense. It means to me that things exist that we don’t understand.

Saudi Arabia [man]

I am called Shahee bou-Ainann. On Thursday March 26th, 1966, I was camped with a party of Bedouins. We were staying near the beach outside the town of Jubail, near the oil fields. That night we were relaxing around the campfire, looking up at the stars from time to time just as usual. Then suddenly, something never before seen appeared in the sky. It was a very large, brilliant blue light. It had the definite shape of an oval. I rubbed my eyes in disbelief. So did everyone else. I thought we were dreaming. We watched the bright blue oval for several minutes as it hovered directly overhead, not too far away. Then, suddenly, it was gone…

China [woman]

My name is Wang Cunqiao. I live in Pusalu, a farming village 68 kilometres from Beijing. In my village we believe something mysterious, perhaps cosmic forces, made themselves visible to us on December 11, 1999. In the early evening, we saw an object about the size of a person and shimmering with golden light move slowly up into the sky from behind a nearby mountain. It was so beautiful, sort of yellow, shimmering. It looked like a supernatural being floating slowly up to heaven. This mysterious yellow object seemed to hover above the red roof of our small village hall. We just stood and watched until it suddenly disappeared. Then someone reported it to the authorities. I know this was something very real and very important.

China [man]

I am Colonel Li, Commander of the airbase in Changzou, where the military flight training academy is located. On October 19, 1998 four radar stations in Hebei Province reported the presence of an unidentified “blip” hovering over the academy. After ascertaining that the intruder was not a military or civilian flight, I ordered a Jianjiao 6 jet fighter to take off and intercept the UFO. At least 140 people on the ground saw the object. To observers at the base, the UFO first appeared to be a small pointed star, and then grew larger and larger, perhaps as it descended to a lower altitude. Witnesses described an object with a mushroom-shaped dome on top and a flat bottom, covered with bright, constantly-rotating lights.

The crew of the Jianjiao 6 interceptor consisted of a pilot and a radar officer. The two officers reported that the object clearly resembled depictions they had seen in foreign science fiction films… When they got within 4,000 metres of the UFO over Qing county, it abruptly shot upwards, easily evading subsequent attempts to get closer.

The flight crew reported that it appeared to be toying with the plane by repeatedly outdistancing it and then reappearing right above it. The pilot requested permission to fire on the UFO with the plane’s automatic 20 mm cannon. I denied this permission to shoot, and told him to continue to pursue and observe the object. The pilot broke off pursuit at an altitude of 12,000 metres when the plane began running low on fuel. The UFO then apparently disappeared before I could order additional planes to be sent to the area.

India [man]

My name is Kannan, I am a teacher at a boys’ school (gurukala) run by ISKCON in the village of Mayapura, West Bengal. I had a traditional Hindu religious upbringing but later rebelled against this by adopting ideas of atheism and rational skepticism. However, I have now regained my interest in spiritual questions. A few years ago I saw something that was what you would call a UFO but I believe was a vimana. It was during the Desert Storm battle. I had a class in the evening and I was listening to the BBC news of the battle with some of the Bhakti Sastri boys in front of my house. We were following Saddam Hussein very meticulously, all his movements. So I would put all the boys in front of my house in the evening, we would lay out a mat, put out the lights and play the radio under the stars.

It was about 8 pm. As I was sitting there, I just looked up and saw this very bright blue light overhead. It started from the Dhruva star, the Polestar that can be seen behind our school building. It started from there and it was moving very fast. Then when it came directly overhead, it seemed to slow down and then stop. It had a tail at the back that started small and became bigger. And very clearly there was a solid object in front of that. It was not at all like a star or a satellite, and it was not very high.

I was already staring at it when one boy said, “What is that, Pradhu?” And then this other boy said, “What is that, what is that?” We all got up and were looking at it. There were six of us, five boys and me. My wife was in the kitchen cooking something and she came out too because we were all shouting. So it was at maybe one and a half palm tree’s height from the roof of our hut, which is not very high. It was at less than five stories above us. We saw it very clearly. Most of them were concentrating on the light. I looked in the front and I saw that it was a clear object. It was not a star and it was not far away. It was right there. And it was also, like, moving around itself but very slowly. Then it moved slowly away toward the Jalangi River where it suddenly picked up speed and disappeared. It was like somebody who slows down to look at something.

It was very, very interesting and the boys kept asking about it. Boys ask all sorts of questions. But anyway, to my understanding, it was actually a vimana. And for some reason they can become bigger or become smaller. It was an abnormal thing and we were completely helpless just looking at it. When I described it to a Muslim gentleman, an old farmer, he said that in the sky over Mayapura there are so many things like this. Things come, things go. So many things happen because this is Mahaprabhu’ s place. So it is not surprising that such thing are seen in the sky over his land.


Australia and Oceania

Australia [woman]

I don’t wish to give my name. I was a teacher in South Australia for many years.

In 1976 I was hoovering my sitting room floor at about noon. Suddenly I felt quite ill and thought I was going to be sick, so I sat down on the sofa to see if the sick feeling would subside. I then saw that I was not alone; there were three strange little people standing alongside the sofa, just looking at me. I froze with fear, as I had never seen anything like them before, not even in films.

Two of them were short and fat, about four to four and a half feet tall, with broad faces and enormous black eyes, but with only a hint of where a nose or mouth might have been, almost like a pencil drawing. They had wispy bits of brown hair at the back of their heads, and they were wearing brown shrouds or robes. These beings, I knew instinctively, were the workers. The other being was female, thin and about five feet tall. She wore a black shroud and had black wispy hair at the back of her head. Her face was very elongated, with huge, dark, piercing eyes. Like the others, there was just a hint of where a nose or mouth could have been. The thin one started to speak to me with her mind, and told me I was to go with them. I said in my own mind that I would not go. Somehow this telepathic communication seemed perfectly normal at the time and I felt quite comfortable communicating like that. I was very frightened but I could still communicate and understand. I was so frightened because it seemed they were pulling me away with their minds. I had to struggle to resist them. At one point I remember falling down and trying to crawl towards the door. I must have fainted or something because I have no memory from that point onwards. When my husband came home at the usual time I realised I had lost about four hours. I still have no explanation for this experience.

Australia [man]

My name is Patrick Knowles. My family and I have been the victim of a media frenzy since first telling our story. Now I very much regret making it public. We have experienced unrelenting ridicule, being described as crazy, or accused of making up a hoax just for money, and so on. But we only wanted people to know what happened to us, we weren’t after anything!

It happened on January 20, 1988. My mother, two brothers and I were driving from Perth to Melbourne. We were going to drive straight through in shifts, and we planned to cross the desert at night when the heat wasn’t so bad. By 2.30 am we were in the Nullarbor Plain. We stopped for petrol and switched drivers. Sean was driving and I was in the front seat next to him. The road was empty. Suddenly we saw a bright yellow light up ahead and Sean slowed down. As we got closer, the yellow light seemed to be emanating from an egg-shaped object hovering just above ground level. We thought we might be seeing things but then a caravan passed going the other way, and it swerved sharply to avoid the luminous egg. The closer we got to it, the more we realised it wasn’t a normal vehicle or a road signal or anything like that. Sean swerved to avoid it and we continued on, leaving it behind.

Suddenly, the object started towards us. It appeared to accelerate with tremendous speed. We drove on and it literally chased us. The faster we went to get away from it, the faster this object went after us. I reckon we reached a speed of 125 miles per hour but it caught up in a matter of seconds. Then Sean made a sudden u-turn and headed back West in the direction of the petrol station. The UFO also turned around. I don’t know how the hell it was flying, because it didn’t have any wings or anything like wings. It just kept coming after us. Sean made another fast u-turn heading back toward Melbourne again but the UFO turned as well and kept pace with the car. In the backseat, everyone was scared. The dogs started barking and whining.

Then suddenly, we were hit. It shot a beam of light out and punctured our back tyre. The back tyre was on fire. We started sliding across the road. I realised if we braked we would have to confront the UFO, but Sean didn’t have any choice. Then it landed on the roof of the car and picked the car up. It lit up the car like a microwave. The heat was intense. Our hair was standing straight up and we felt really funny – like we were being dehydrated. It was awful, frightening, like our brains were being sucked out. My fear was that I would be pulled out of my body. I put my hand out of the window and touched something spongy that burned my hand. I thought we were going to die.
You could actually feel the car rising in the air. The car began to fill with a thick black fog. It was so hot, and all this soot, this junk, started covering us. Our voices started changing – you know how a tape deck sounds when the batteries start to go flat? That’s what it was like. Then I passed out.

I came to when I heard a tremendous noise, like a bang, and our car suddenly dropped back to earth. Dawn was coming up. The thing just flew away, that was the last we saw of it. I had to change the tyre, and we tried to clean out the black soot. There were marks on the roof of the car. As soon as we could, we drove fast to the nearest roadhouse. We were too shocked to talk for a while. Then we realised we had lost a couple of hours time during the incident. We called the police. The funny thing was they were already looking for us. Someone, maybe the people in the caravan we passed, had phoned the police anonymously. Their report states that they witnessed our car being picked up off the road and shaken violently. They noticed the car was covered in black ash. The police inspected our car and noted the ash, the bad smell, and the dents on the roof. They was convinced something had occurred. They took us to the hospital where we were treated for burns and shock. But then the media got hold of the incident. I don’t think a single reporter or journalist asked sensible questions or tried to console us for our fear, they just wanted to humiliate us. When our car was examined by forensic scientists, they found unexplained high concentrations of chlorine, an element not usually present in cars, animals, or the desert environment. My family does not need proof of this sort because we all know what we witnessed and what we went through that night.

Papua New Guinea [boy]

My name is Alex James. I live in Pilapila Community, New Guinea. About 7 pm last Tuesday, November 6th, 1999 I went with four friends to Pilapila Community School for rugby practice. We were going back to our village after dark when we saw some bright lights approaching. There were a lot of people about, some coming back from bathing and others were sitting around eating their dinners. When they saw the lights, they all ran inside and locked their doors except for a few who just stood and stared. As the UFO approached us we heard no sound. The streetlights all dimmed just like a torch when the batteries are failing. It hovered over the coconut palms and looked huge. It was oblong in shape. As it passed slowly overhead, my friends and I were almost frozen as we watched it. We felt as though we could not move or speak, because we were so shocked by the sight. Pastaim mi tingim God papa. na nupela millenium na bihain mi tingam ol movie Olsem Starwars. The bottom of the UFO was oblong-shaped, with very bright lights all around the edges, and the top was like a pyramid shape, with lights around it also. Just bright white, no colours. It was huge and took over 30 minutes to pass by – we checked the time. When it was hovering over us it seemed to be as bright as day, the whole place was lit up like bright daylight, that’s how bright its lights were. Then the object just disappeared in the direction of the mountains near Vuvu.

New Zealand [woman]

My name is Edith Perkins. At 8.30 pm, Monday, March 30. 1998, I was doing some chores in our backyard. This is in Bexley, just North of Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand. I saw something in the sky, like a capsule or cigar-shaped object. At first it had a silver-whitish body, with a darker grey forked tail. While l looked at it it was just overhead, seeming to be coming closer. I was facing West. The rounded edges, front and back, of the object called my attention to it initially. Its size appeared to be about 10 centimetres long if held at arm’s length. I suppose it was about 30,000 feet high but it seemed very puzzling that there was no jet trail behind it. So I went indoors to fetch a pair of 7 x 35 binoculars. My husband joined me and our home-care nurse. As we three watched, a very bright light completely covered the object. It did not happen as a flash of light, it seemed to start up and then finish with a burst of light. I was seeing a different rear design on the craft, with a forked end to it, and the colour was now dark grey. Another burst of light occurred and the object presented a rim, all around the craft, with either intermittent coloured lights on the rim, or else the rim was composed of rotating coloured lights. These were in tones of reddish-orange. This object then flew out over Pegasus Bay, towards the Northeast.

Hawaii [woman]

My name is Glenna Heller. This happened two years ago… I live in an apartment on the Southernmost tip of Kauai. We were no further than perhaps 20 feet from our apartment, just going home, when out of the West came an enormous ball of light, moving very, very fast. It was opaque white/yellow in the centre, with many colours around the peripheries. It appeared to have a tail of light. No sound accompanied the object whatsoever, and it was very low to the ground, perhaps as much as 100 feet above our heads. As it reached nearly above us, it divided into three balls of light, all the same size and colour. As it moved to the East and away from us, we saw it divide into seven orbs. I telephoned a friend on the North end of the island and told her to go outside quickly. She described what she saw to me, and it was the same – some seven or so objects of light near the ground. It appeared to be circling the island. The following day, our newspaper read, “Mysterious Light Show” with a full account of what we had seen, including the fact that a similar occurrence had been viewed on Hawaii’s Big Island the night before. No explanation had been found for that sighting either. It was identical to what we had seen.