NBI PTFoMS Executive Director Paul M. Gutierrez while discussing with DOJ Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla the development in the Cris Bundoquin case, Manila, June 8, 2023.

NBI to conduct ‘parallel’ probe on Bundoquin slay

June 8, 2023 People's Tonight 394 views

THE National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has been ordered by Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla to conduct a “parallel investigation” on the killing last May 31 of Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro radio block timer, Cresenciano “Cris” Aldivino Bundoquin.

Emerging from more than two hours of close door meeting with Remulla early Thursday, June 8, 2023, Presidential Task Force on Media Security (PTFoMS) Executive Director Paul M. Gutierrez said the decision to let the NBI conduct a parallel probe was made to further hasten the resolution of the case, clarify the involvement of other personalities in Mindoro potentially linked to the killing of Bundoquin and prevent a potential “whitewash” of the case.

Although under the Office of the President (OP), Gutierrez reports directly to Remulla and Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Secretary Atty. Cheloy Garafil, as both are co-chairs of the PTFoMS.

The PTFoMS had earlier announced that aside from the identified gunman, Isabelo Lopez Bautista, a resident of Bansud, information gathered indicated that at least three personalities in Mindoro, one of them a police major assigned at the PRO4-B (Mimaropa) Police Office, may be “involved” in the attack on Bundoquin.

Another is a provincial official belonging to a prominent political clan in Mindoro, while the other is a long time, “big-time” operator of “perya” (local parlor games and rides during town fiestas) with a close link to many local officials and close association with the police major.

“However, from the stream of information the PTFoMS is now getting from other reliable sources in the government, other persons may also be involved,” Gutierrez said.

“Thus, Secretary Remulla deemed it best to order the NBI to conduct a parallel probe for us to get a clear picture of what happened and who are the other persons or ‘mastermind’ behind the attack on Bundoquin,” he said.

“Let me emphasize that the government is determined to solve this incident and to render full justice to the victim’s family by unmasking and prosecuting all those involved.”

“No one should take this determination lightly,” Gutierrez stressed.

He also reiterated his earlier statement that the filing of murder and attempted murder charges against Bautista by the SITG Bundoquin would not mean closure to the case.

“As Secretary Remulla directed, the motive for the killing of Bundoquin must not be limited to the ‘personal grudge’ of the suspects against him. All angles must be explored to the full,” Gutierrez said.

“The emerging motive is the proliferation of illegal gambling in the province using ‘perya’ as a cover and politics as both were severely criticized by Bundoquin in his radio program,” Gutierrez explained.

A radio block timer at the local Kalahi News FM, Bundoquin, 50, was shot to death by two motorcycle-riding armed men around 4:20 a.m. in front of his rented store in Bgy. Sta. Isabel, Calapan City, last May 31.

The gunman was later identified as Bautista, while his cohort, identified as Narciso Ignacio Guntan from Roxas town, died after their motorcycle crashed when it hit a metal road barrier during their escape.

According to information, both suspects are workers in the local peryahan scene in Mindoro, and Bautista had also worked as a driver and doing other odd jobs for some influential individuals in the province.

AUTHOR PROFILE