NBI

NBI nabs 3 top wanted Korean fugitives in Makati City

June 18, 2021 Hector Lawas 1143 views

NATIONAL Bureau of Investigation (NBI) agents nabbed three Korean fugitives in a posh condominium unit in Legazpi Village, Makati City following their alleged involvement in kidnap-for-ransom (KFR) activities.

NBI Officer-In-Charge Eric B. Distor identified the arrested suspects as Chang Joo Cho, Dawon Beom, and Changwoo Hong.

The Korean fugitives’ arrest stemmed from information received by the NBI-Special Action Unit implicating them in alleged KFR operations in the cities of Manila and Makati.

Verification made by the NBI with the Bureau of Immigration (BI) revealed that the suspects are fugitives from South Korea with outstanding warrants for their arrest.

They are facing charges for violation of Article 26 of the Korean National Sports Promotion Act in their country.

On June 15, 2021, joint operatives of the NBI-SAU and BI-Fugitive Search Unit swooped down on a unit in Senta Tower, Legazpi Village where the Koreans are temporarily residing.

Major Sungsoo Chang, Police Liaison Officer of Korean Embassy, positively identified them as his fellow Koreans long wanted in South Korea.

The arrested Korean fugitives were later turned over to theBI-Fugitive Search Unit.

Earlier last week, agents of the National Capital Region Police (NCRPO) on Thursday afternoon rescued unharmed a 23-year-old Chinese POGO worker who was abducted by his compatriots believed to be members of a gang kidnapping their compatriots for ransom, Philippine National Police chief, General Guillermo Lorenzo T. Eleazar said.

The top cop said that six abductors of the male Chinese national were arrested during an operation in Parañaque City launched by the local police following reports about the kidnapping of the victim.

Citing reports from NCRPO director, Major Gen. Vicente D. Danao Jr., Gen. Eleazar said that the victim was snatched by the suspects around 1:40 p.m. along Bradco Avenue corner Cuinco Street,  Aseana, Barangay  Tambo in  Parañaque City and forced into a Toyota Hi Ace Super Grandia van.

The commotion caught the attention of hotel security personnel who immediately reported the incident to  the Parañaque City Police Sub-Station 2.

Officers who responded to the scene arrested suspects Li Yang, Zhou Hao, Liu Jie Yong, Zhang Jia Hao and Qui You Bo and their driver Nelson Malavega.

All five suspects are now under the custody of the Parañaque City police. They will be facing criminal charges.

“I commend our ground operatives for immediate action on the reported kidnapping case which resulted to the arrest of these suspects,” Gen. Eleazar said.

“At tayo ay nagpapasalamat din sa pagtawag agad ng responde ng ating kumunidad para marescue ang nasabing biktima at naiwas sya sa posibleng kapahamakan sa kamay ng mga kidnapers na ito. In line of our cleanliness in the community under Intensified Cleanliness Policy, kaisa ng ating kapulisan ang kumunidad na linisin at sugpuin ang kriminalidad para sa kaayusan ng ating bansa,” Gen.  Eleazar added.

Meanwhile, the Department of Justice (DOJ) has formally released a department order directing the NBI to conduct an investigation into the reported sale of COVID-19 shots, and vaccination slots.

“The NBI through Officer-in-Charge Eric B. Distor, is hereby directed and granted authority to conduct an investigation on the alleged illegal sale of COVID-19 vaccines and/or sale of vaccination slots,” read Department Order No. 120.

“If evidence warrants, to file the appropriate charges against all persons involved and found responsible for any unlawful act in connection therewith,” it added.

Distor was required to submit a progress report within 10 days and periodically thereafter. NBI is an attached agency of the DOJ.

The investigation was upon the request of Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chairman Benhur Abalos.

According to Abalos, individuals who offer vaccine slots for a fee to netizens could be slapped with estafa or direct bribery charges, among others.

Abalos has warned that those who bought the vaccine slots may also be held criminally liable.

“Doon sa mga pribado na gustong magpabakuna, madedemanda din siya, ” he said. “They are a principal by inducement.”

Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año has previously directed Joint Task Force COVID Shield to  determine whether the sale of vaccination slots is merely a scam or actually going on.

The DILG expressed alarm over reports that vaccination slots sold online fetch as much as P12,000.

AUTHOR PROFILE