mamang pulis

2.87% crime reduction in CL due to drive vs loose guns—PRO-3 chief

April 3, 2025 Alfred P. Dalizon 113 views

CrimePOLICE Regional Office (PRO)-3 director Brigadier General Jean Fajardo said they have registered a 2.87 percent reduction in total crime incidents in Central Luzon due to an intensified crackdown on loose firearms for the May 12 elections.

The official said that from January 12 to March 23, the PRO-3’s Revitalized Katok Campaign led to the surrender or depositing of 1,377 firearms with expired licenses and the confiscation of 384 firearms through checkpoints and targeted law enforcement operations.

These efforts resulted in the arrest of 350 individuals for illegal possession of firearms, Brig. Gen. Fajardo said.

As a result, the total crime incidents in Central Luzon dropped from 7,360 cases in 2024 to 7,149 cases this year.

The eight focus crimes—murder, homicide, rape, robbery, theft, physical injury and carnapping—saw a 10.66 percent decline, with cases reduced from 638 to 570.

Brig. Gen. Fajardo praised the dedication of all Region 3 policemen, emphasizing that removing loose firearms from the streets is a crucial step in maintaining public safety, especially as the elections approach.

“This achievement highlights our commitment to curbing criminality and protecting our communities. By reducing the presence of loose firearms, we have minimized the risk of violence and bolstered security in Central Luzon,” she said.

Brig. Gen. Fajardo also lauded PRO-3’s dedication to sustaining the momentum in its campaign against illegal firearms, stressing its importance in ensuring an orderly and peaceful electoral process.

The official also maintained they remain steadfast in their mission to uphold law and order to ensure a peaceful, credible and violence-free election for the people of Central Luzon.

The PRO-3 director lauded the Nueva Ecija police for arresting two suspects linked to a multiple murder case in the province.

Acting on intelligence and relentless pursuit, personnel from San Leonardo police apprehended the first suspect, alias Joey, 38.

The accused was intercepted at around 5:40 p.m. last March 26 in Brgy. San Joseph, Peñaranda, Nueva Ecija.

Recovered from the suspect were a caliber .45 pistol with a magazine and a grenade hidden inside a belt bag.

A follow-up operation led to the arrest of the suspect’s elder brother Roger, 51.

Both suspects, according to Brig. Gen. Fajardo, were identified as key figures in a brutal shooting that occurred earlier that day in Brgy. Mallorca which resulted in multiple fatalities.

“While the swift arrests mark a critical breakthrough in the case, PRO-3 remains steadfast in its commitment to ensuring that all individuals involved are held accountable,” she said.

AUTHOR PROFILE