Yarra orders relief of Laguna cops involved in missing ‘sabungeros’

March 23, 2022 Gil Aman 318 views

CAMP BGEN VICENTE P LIM Calamba city, Laguna – Police Regional Office (PRO) Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon) Regional Director Police Brigadier General Antonio C. Yarra ordered the relief of cops who were assigned with the Provincial Intelligence Unit of Laguna PNP (Philippine National Police) at the height of the series of abduction of “sabungeros” (cockfighting aficionados) who appeared before the Senate hearing last Monday, March 21, 2022.

They were identified as Patrolman Roy Navarete, Police Staff Sergeant Daryl Paghangaan, and Police Master Sergeant Michael Claveria who were former members of the Laguna Provincial Intelligence Unit.

Two of them were positively identified by witnesses during the Senate hearing and allegedly involved in the abduction of Ricardo “Jonjon” Lasco in San Pablo, Laguna on August 30, 2021.

PBGen. Yarra had already instructed the Regional Personnel and Records Management Division Chief PCol. Raquel B. Lingayo to issue orders for their re-assignment within the camp to ensure their availability to investigation and for them not to use their positions to influence the ongoing investigation.

“I have already ordered the relief of the three personnel from their present assignments and had them transferred to Regional Headquarters as the investigation continues and we will make sure that all facts and information regarding this matter will be taken into consideration for the quick resolution of these cases and to give justice to the families of the missing victims [sabungeros],” PBGen. Yarra said.

After the Senate hearing and positively being identified by the witnesses to have involvement in the disappearance of Lasco, the PRO Calabarzon director called for a Special Case Conference on March 22, 2022, attended by the director for Regional Internal Affairs Service (RIAS) 4A PBGen. Emmanuel T. Hebron; Deputy Regional Director for Operations, PCol. Edwin A. Quilates; Regional Legal Officer PCol. Thomas M. Valmonte; and Chief Regional Investigation and Detective Division PCol. Francisco J. Luceña III.

The RIAS 4A will conduct “motu propio” investigation in the alleged irregularity in the certain illegal drugs operation as testified by the witnesses in the Senate hearing and also the extent of their involvement in the Lasco abduction case.

The Regional Investigation and Detective Division was also directed to conduct further validation and investigation regarding the matter.

PBGen. Yarra also instructed the concerned unit to secure a copy of the Senate transcript of records to review the said allegations on the police involved.

Yarra directed PCol. Lingayo to issue restrictive custody order once RIAS found probable cause to file an administrative case against the accused personnel.

“The accusation against our personnel as to their participation in the missing ‘sabungeros’ is a serious matter and our leadership will not stop until the truth will come out and bring justice to the victims. If we found enough evidence to charge them, then we will do so. The PNP has no room for erring personnel,” said PBGen. Yarra.

Meanwhile, Yarra instructed the current Laguna Provincial Director PCol. Rogarth B. Campo to explain the alleged P1 million he “received” from businessman Charlie “Atong” Ang as revealed during the Senate hearing on Monday.

AUTHOR PROFILE