Default Thumbnail

Visayas cops seize P9.2M shabu; 2 HVTs fall

June 19, 2023 Alfred P. Dalizon 166 views

TWO top drug targets in the Visayas region were arrested by agents of the Philippine National Police (PNP) following two separate anti-narcotics operations last week, which resulted in the confiscation of some P9.2 million worth of shabu, a report to PNP chief General Benjamin C. Acorda Jr.

One of the suspects, with the alias “Aw-Aw,” an 18-year-old “high-value target” (HVT) from Barangay Pajo, Lapu-Lapu City, yielded more than P3.7 million worth of the so-called “poor man’s cocaine” during a buy-bust operation in Lapu-Lapu City last Friday, said Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 director, Brigadier Gen. Anthony A. Aberin.

The official said that members of the Lapu-Lapu City Police Office arrested the suspect at 10:14 p.m. Friday. Recovered from the suspect were several plastic sachets containing around 550 grams of shabu valued at P3,740,000, a cellphone he used in making contact with the undercover officer, and the buy-bust money topped by some marked bills.

“This successful anti-drug operation is the result of a well-coordinated and honest operation to pursue those responsible for the proliferation of illegal drugs in Central Visayas in strict adherence to the directive of DILG (Department of the Interior and Local Government) Secretary Benjamin Abalos Jr. and Gen. Acorda,” said the PRO7 director.

The 2nd suspect was identified as alias “Ombap,” 27, a jobless, of Villa Lourdes, Bgy. Pahanacoy in Bacolod City was arrested in another sting in the same area last Sunday, said PRO6 director Brig. Gen. Sydney N. Villaflor.

Recovered from the suspect’s possession were 18 plastic packets containing approximately 800 grams of shabu worth P5.440 million, the buy-bust money topped by three marked P1,000 bills and a digital scale.

Members of the Bacolod City Police Station 8 made the arrest.

Acorda congratulated the PRO7 and PRO6 operatives for their latest accomplishment in their ongoing war on drugs, even as he urged the public to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activities or information related to illegal drug operations to the local police.

“We will continue to prioritize the fight against illegal drugs and intensify our operations to dismantle drug networks operating within our jurisdiction. This success serves as a clear message to those involved in illegal drug activities that we will not tolerate their actions and will relentlessly pursue them,” Acorda said.

The top cop has ordered follow-up operations to identify and arrest the main source of the drugs recovered.

The suspects are now facing non-bailable charges for the sale and possession of prohibited drugs under the Republic Act (RA) 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.

AUTHOR PROFILE