Roque eyes ‘early resignation’ for possible open-heart surgery

June 9, 2021 People's Tonight 226 views

PRESIDENTIAL Spokesperson Harry Roque on Wednesday bared his plan to seek an “early” resignation for a possible open-heart operation.

Roque made the revelation, as he admitted that he is still open to joining the 2022 national elections.

“So, kung ako po ay magdidesisyon, tatanungin ko po iyong aking doctor kung kinakailangang magpabukas na bago mag-election tayo po ay magri-resign early para po magpa-opera kung kinakailangang magpa-opera,” Roque said.

In 2019, Roque was forced to drop his Senate candidacy in the mid-term elections after undergoing a heart surgery.

Roque explained that he needs to undergo another operation since angioplasty and stent procedure performed on him in 2019 is only effective for up to three years.

“Ang sabi ng mga doktor ay two to three years lang din lang iyon. Kaya kailangan kong magdesisyon, ano ba, magpapabukas ako bago mag-election kung kakayanin ba? So, iyon po ang aking estado,” he said.

Angioplasty is a procedure used to open blocked coronary arteries caused by coronary artery disease and restore blood flow to the heart muscle without open-heart surgery, according to the definition provided by John Hopkins Medicine.

Coronary stents, on the other hand, are tiny, expandable metal mesh coils used in nearly all angioplasty procedures and put into the newly-opened area of the artery to help keep the artery from narrowing or closing again.

Avoiding another ‘heartbreak’

In case there is no need for another heart procedure, Roque said he wants to secure a “medical assurance” that he is “safe” to run for public office.

Roque reiterated that he is still “praying for guidance” and seeking his doctors’ advice before making a final decision with regard to his political plans next year.

He issued the statement as he admitted that he is not ready for a second “heartbreak.”

“Ako po ay nagdadasal at talagang kumonsulta sa mga doctor dahil minsan tayo ay nagplano at nabigo naman tayo dahil sa aking kalusugan, ayaw ko na pong maulit iyong heartbreak na iyon,” Roque said.

Roque was first appointed as President Rodrigo Duterte’s spokesperson in October 2017. He, however, decided to resign in 2018 to run for a seat in the House of Representatives under the Luntiang Pilipinas party-list.

Roque later decided to run for senator but eventually withdrew his plan due to health reasons.

He returned as a presidential spokesperson in April last year. Philippine News Agency

AUTHOR PROFILE