THE Philippine National Police’s (PNP) Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) has found some good leads in their ongoing investigation into the case of the 34 missing “sabungeros”, a senior official said on Monday.
According to PNP Director for Investigation and Detective Management, Major General Eliseo DC Cruz, they have already identified thru the help of telecommunication companies the current users of two mobile phones belonging to two of the victims.
“They have been invited by the CIDG to explain why they are [in possession] of those cellphones,” Cruz, also a former PNP-CIDG chief said.
In the presence of PNP chief, Gen. Rodolfo S. Azurin Jr., the official said that so far, the PNP-CIDG has already filed criminal cases for kidnapping against some policemen previously assigned with the Laguna Police Provincial Intelligence Branch in connection with the abduction and disappearance of five of the victims in the province.
Cruz said that members of the security division of the Manila Arena have also been charged with kidnapping with serious illegal detention in connection with the abduction of some of the missing cockfighting (sabong) aficionados in Manila.
He said that they are investigating eight separate cases of missing sabungeros, including five in Laguna and one each in the provinces of Batangas and Bulacan, and one in Manila.
Cruz said that information provided by the missing victims’ families regarding their mobile phone numbers has proven to be very vital in the ongoing investigation.
“They really can be used in our further investigation with the help of concerned telcos,” he said.\\