Default Thumbnail

PNP ensures safety of arriving Boracay tourists

February 17, 2022 Alfred P. Dalizon 386 views

ALL police security preparations are in place to ensure the safety of tourists and the local populace in Boracay Island which has been placed under Alert Level 2 effective Wednesday, Philippine National Police chief General Dionardo B. Carlos said yesterday.

The measures are being implemented by the Police Regional Office 6 (PRO 6) headed by Brig. Gen. Flynn E. Dongbo amid the expected heavy tourist arrivals in Boracay Island in Malay, Aklay which remains the country’s no. 1 tourist destination, the PNP chief said.

The Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) earlier said that the entire province of Aklan along with, Antique, Bacolod City, Capiz, and Negros Occidental were among the areas in Western Visayas that were placed under Alert Level 2 effective February 16 until the end of the month.

Gen. Carlos said that while COVID-19 restrictions are now slowly downgrading in most parts of the country, local territorial units especially their Tourists Police Units (TPU) will continue to strictly enforce appropriate standards and safety protocols in accordance with IATF guidelines, existing local executive orders, and ordinances issued by local government in their area of responsibility.

The PNP chief already ordered the local police to gear up their anti-criminality measures to ensure the safety and security of both local and foreign tourists and protect them against anybody who will take advantage of the easing protocols.

Executive Order No. 001-A, Series of 2022 issued by the provincial government of Aklan stated that all tourists and travelers may now enter the province of Aklan provided they need to first secure a “Quick Response” or QR Code via online Health Declaration Card (OHDC) through aklan.gov.ph website.

“Ang unti-unting pagdagsa ng mga turista sa Boracay mula sa halos dalawang taon na pansamantalang pagtigil ng operasyon sa buong isla dulot ng pandemiya ay isang indikasyon ng muling pagbangon ng ating ekonomiya sa bansa. Ngunit kasabay nito ay kailangan pa rin nating tiyakin ang kaligtasan ng lahat ng mga pumupunta sa isla hindi lamang sa banta ng pandemiya kundi pati na rin sa mga nagbabalak na gumawa ng masama,” Gen. Carlos said.

“With the latest issued advisory dated February 1, 2022 where establishments in Boracay Island are allowed by the local government to operate from 5 o’clock in the morning until 1 o’clock of the following morning, we assure the public that our five Boracay Sub-Stations in Malay, Aklan with 306 tourist police are well equipped and always ready to provide 24/7 police response especially in conspicuous places along the beachfront, hotels and bars, and restaurants,” he added.

Gen. Carlos also advised the public, especially those who are planning to spend their summer vacation on the island to remain vigilant during their stay and strictly follow the safety protocols at all times.

Based on the latest record of the Department of Tourism, Boracay Island logs 35,799 tourist arrivals in the first month of 2022 which is 200.88 percent higher than 11,898 record of the same month last year.

AUTHOR PROFILE