Default Thumbnail

PNP chief assures lapses in police operations promptly addressed

June 21, 2021 Alfred P. Dalizon 462 views

OPERATIONAL lapses being committed by some policemen in their anti-criminality operations are not being ignored or simply disregarded by the organization but are promptly addressed, Philippine National Police chief Gen. Guillermo Lorenzo Eleazar yesterday assured the public.

The top cop gave the assurance following the death of 16-year-old Johndy Maglinte in a police anti-narcotics operation in Biñan City, Laguna last week.

Maglinte and “armed and dangerous” drug suspect Antonio Dalit, who is the subject of an arrest warrant, were killed when they allegedly violently resisted arrest and exchanged fire with undercover officers, said the Laguna Police Provincial Office.

However, Gen. Eleazar ordered a thorough investigation into the incident amid a claim by the family of the teenager and Dalit that the two were summarily executed by police operatives.

The PNP Internal Affairs Service, a fact-finding task group of the Police Regional Office 4-A, and the Commission on Human Rights are conducting independent investigations in the incident.

Eleazar pointed out that whenever there are claims of irregularities in police operations, these are investigated so operational lapses could be corrected if proven to be true.

“Hindi po natin binabalewala ang mga alegasyon ng lapses sa operasyon ng ating mga pulis. Kaya nga po natin ito iniimbestigahan ay para agad maitama, sakaling may lapses na makita, para hindi na maulit pa,” the PNP chief said.

“We constantly review our protocols to check if these still fit the kind of setting we have today or if there are adjustments or changes that need to be made,” he added.

“Thus, in instances where there are allegations of irregularity in police operations, it is also important for us to get to the truth to enable us to improve and be better public servants. It also enables us to rid the PNP ranks of rogues who are unfit to wear the uniform,” Eleazar said.

The top cop said that it is both the PNP and the public that will suffer if operational lapses are just ignored and are not promptly addressed.

This is also the reason, according to him, why thousands of policemen were dismissed from the service and punished as part of the disciplinary measures on the part of those who committed grave abuses.

Based on latest PNP data, a total of 18, 664 were penalized for various offenses since 2016. Of the number a total of 5,151 of them were dismissed from the service for various offenses including grave misconduct arising from their involvement in illegal activities including drug trafficking and abuse, robbery-holdup and extortion.

“Kaya nga po makaaasa ang publiko na hindi kinukunsinti o kukunsintihin ng PNP ang mga pagkakamali dahil hindi dapat pinapandigan ang mali at sa halip ay kailangang itama upang hindi na pamarisan pa,” the country’s top cop said.

AUTHOR PROFILE