PASAY City on Tuesday recorded only 59 cases of COVID-19, the lowest in Metro Manila, after logging some of the highest cases in Metro Manila in February and March this year.
Mayor Emi Calixto-Rubiano said their hard work and strict implementation of basic health and safety protocols is now bearing fruits after the figure recorded on Monday was only equivalent to just 0.41 percent of 14,296 total recorded cases in the city since last year.
The total number of active cases was a testament to the city government’s earnest efforts and commitment to eradicate the fatal virus that has been wreaking havoc in the country for over a year.
The City Health Office also reported that there are now 13,854 or 96.91% residents who already recovered from the disease including seven who recovered on Monday.
Mayor Emi lauded the initiatives of local government units including the police for their hard work, as well as the residents for their cooperation.
“Ngayon po na nakamit na natin ang pinakamababang bilang ng kaso sa Metro Manila, nakikiusap po ako na sana ay pag-ibayuhin pa lalo nating lahat ang pagsugpo sa perwisyong virus na ito,” the mayor said adding that they must strive hard until they eventually attain their ultimate target of zero possible cases in the city.
“Ang atin po talagang layunin ay tuluyang masugpo ang pagkalat ng virus at kung magagawa po natin ang zero ay siya pong pinakamainam para sa kaligtasan at kapayapaan ng isip nating lahat,” Mayor Emi said.
To recall, Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Benhur Abalos previously lauded Mayor Calixto-Rubiano for her effective programs that stopped the spread of cases in the city.
He even urged other local chief executives to follow the template and measures set by Pasay City in their fight against the virus.
In his report to President Duterte, Abalos said it took Mayor Calixto Rubiano just a month to bring down the number of infections after the South African variant was first detected in the city and led to a spike in cases in early March.