Default Thumbnail

NCRPO drive vs illegal gambling net 60 ‘STL bookies’ workers

June 21, 2023 Alfred P. Dalizon 282 views

THE stepped-up campaign against all forms of illegal gambling activities in Metro Manila by the National Capital Region Police Office last week led to the arrest of 60 persons involved in illegal ‘STL Bookies’ activities, NCRPO director Major General Edgar Alan O. Okubo said yesterday.

The official said that the Manila Police District headed by Brigadier Gen. Andre P. Dizon conducted 32 successful anti-illegal gambling operations from June 12-18 which resulted in the arrest of 59 ‘STL Bookies’ personalities.

Recovered from the suspects were P26,018 in cash bets. A total of 31 complaints for violation of the illegal gambling law were filed against them before the Manila City Prosecutor’s Office.

On the other hand, the Quezon City Police District headed by Brig. Gen. Nicolas D. Torre III last week arrested an STL bookie personnel in the city who yielded P250 in cash bet. The suspect was charged before the Q.C. prosecutor’s office.

The NCRPO has intensified its campaign against illegal gambling in Metro Manila following a directive from Philippine National Police chief, General Benjamin C. Acorda Jr. who has reiterated his strict ‘One-Strike, No-Take’ policy on all forms of illegal number games in the country. The PNP is also getting support from the Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Commission in eradicating illegal gambling activities in the country.

Maj. Gen. Okubo has been doing the rounds of different police stations in the metropolis to stress the PNP chief’s policy.

The NCRPO director has ordered a massive crackdown against ‘Video-Karera’ machines in the metropolis amid mounting complaints that these were the favorite pastime of drug addicts and schoolchildren.

Also being targeted by the NCRPO are various illegal number games and so-called ‘bookie’ operations as well as organized ‘sakla, cara y cruz, monte’ and other similar illegal gambling activities being operated or protected by rogues from different sectors of the society.

Gen. Acorda last month imposed a strict ‘One-Strike, No-Take’ policy on illegal gambling as he ordered an intensified crackdown against all illegal number games in the country to help the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) earn more government revenues needed to support pro-poor programs.

The top cop has ordered a massive campaign against illegal gambling operators nationwide and maintained that their “One Strike and No Take Policy” represents a pivotal element in this comprehensive strategy which also aimed at going after many organized illegal gambling syndicates known to be using PCSO-sanctioned Lotto and Small-Time Lottery or STL draws as a front for their yearly multi-billion business.

Gen. Acorda explained that these policies would ensure the strict enforcement of their Doctrine of Command Responsibility as this resolute stance reflects the PNP’s unwavering determination to eradicate illegal gambling and safeguard the welfare of the Filipino people.

The PNP chief has mobilized all established Regional/Provincial/City Anti-Illegal Gambling Special Operations Task Groups to intensify the implementation of the provisions outlined in the PNP Memorandum Circular No. 2017-022 otherwise known as the “PNP Anti-Illegal Gambling Campaign Plan: Operation High Roller.”

“We will not tolerate the existence of illegal gambling activities that prey on the most vulnerable members of our society. Together with the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office, we will deploy all necessary resources and implement stringent measures to put an end to this menace,” Gen. Acorda said.

The PNP chief and PCSO General Manager Mel Robles earlier met to address the pervasive issue of illegal gambling. The two eventually agreed to become solid allies in the government’s intensified campaign against all forms of illegal gambling activities across the country.

AUTHOR PROFILE