PRESIDENT Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Tuesday bared that he is eyeing a P1 billion housing subsidy fund for the recipients of the government’s low-cost housing units.
Marcos bared this on Tuesday (January 31) as he led the simultaneous groundbreaking of two housing projects in Quezon City and Cauayan City, Isabela under the flagship Pambansang Pabahay para sa Pilipino Program.
Together with House Speaker Ferdinand Martin G. Romualdez, Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development (DHSUD) Secretary Jose Rizalino L. Acuzar , Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte and other key LGU officials, the President graced the event in Batasan Hills, Quezon City for the groundbreaking of the Batasan Redevelopment and Urban Renewal Project.
“Pinag-aaralan namin ni Secretary Acuzar ang pagtatayo ng subsidy fund para dito sa ating housing program. Siguro, maglalagay tayo diyan, ‘pag nakahanap tayo ng pera, mga PHP1 billion to start with para meron tayong subsidy na ibibigay para sa ating magiging tenant,” Marcos said.
In Cauayan City, DHSUD Undersecretary Henry Yap and Assistant Secretary Daryll Bryan Villanueva attended the groundbreaking event.
The two groundbreaking activities were held simultaneously – – the first since the “Pambansang Pabahay” was launched last September. So far, 15 LGUs have broken ground for their respective housing projects.
The first phase of the redevelopment of the Batasan area will include the construction of two 33-storey buildings with a total of 2,160 housing units, planned to become both commercial and residential.
The said project is strategically located in the heart of Quezon City. Plans include utilizing the lot’s ground floor for the improved Batasan TODA terminal, the biggest Tricycle Operators and Drivers Association in the Philippines. Its members shall be among the priority beneficiaries.
“This project is proof that we do not just aim to bridge the housing gap—we also exhaust all efforts to ensure that we renew our urban spaces to help improve the lives of our kababayans,” Secretary Acuzar said.
“We are trying our best to see what we can do to reinvent Metro Manila’s landscape. Our problem does not stop at providing quality and affordable homes, we also need to ensure that all projects lean toward urban development,” he added.
Meanwhile, the Cauayan City Housing Project in Cauayan City, Isabela, targets to benefit 1,080 families through the construction of nine five-storey buildings complete with recreational parks and other amenities.
The project site is conveniently located in Brgy. Tagaran, less than 4kms from the city center, to ensure accessibility. Access to utilities such as electricity, water, cable, and internet services will likewise not be an issue as various providers cater to the area.
“I am glad to know that the accessibility of the project site did not compromise the access to basic utilities, which we know has been the problem of previous housing projects. We stand by our commitment to ensure that we build sustainable communities where beneficiaries could sustain their livelihoods and lead comfortable lives,” said the housing chief.
“This simultaneous groundbreaking activity is the first of many as we earlier promised to go full blast. We will not waste any time. Millions of Filipinos need homes…around 6.5 million. This is not just a figure we need to close, each number represents a family needing a home of their own,” the housing czar added.
Secretary Acuzar expressed gratitude to President Marcos Jr. for his all-out support to Pambansang Pabahay.
The DHSUD Secretary likewise thanked the LGUs for their support to the flagship housing program.
“On behalf of the President and the Filipino people, allow me to thank the local government of Quezon City and Cauayan, Isabela for your utmost commitment and support,” he said.
The Marcos administration’s flagship housing program aims to address the country’s housing gap by building one million houses per year for the next six years. With Philippine News Agency