Isko Manila Mayor Isko Moreno tells fire victims not to lose hope as the city government extends assistance to them. Moreno was joined by Vice Mayor Honey Lacuna, Congressman Yul Servo and (from right) social welfare chief Re Fugoso and Councilors Charry Ortega, Irwin Tieng, Mon Yupangco and Nikko Atienza, among others. Photo by JERRY S. TAN

Manila extends aid to families displaced by fire

December 10, 2021 Itchie G. Cabayan 689 views

MANILA Mayor and Aksyon Demokratiko presidential bet Isko Moreno yesterday said that he sets aside politics when it comes to help being extended for Manilans.

Moreno said this as he, along with Vice Mayor Honey Lacuna and Congressman Yul Servo, social welfare department chief Re Fugoso and fifth district Councilors Irwin Tieng, Nikko Atienza, Mon Yupangco and Charry Ortega, extended assistance to the residents of Sagrada Familia in San Andres, Manila whose homes were razed by fire recently.

The mayor told the fire victims that based on information relayed to him, Senator Bong Go was also slated to offer them some form of assistance and said that he (Moreno) is thankful for the help, adding it does not matter if the one helping belongs to the same political camp or not.

“Sa mga pagkakataong kagaya nito, hindi kailangang mangibabaw ang pulitika. Hindi lang welcome ang lahat, thank you very much kung tutulungan nila mga kababayan ko sa Maynila kasi kailangang-kailangan ng tulong ng mga nasunugan,” Moreno said.

Fugoso said the city government gave the 197 displaced families food boxes and cash assistance to help them start anew and rebuild their homes.

Meanwhile, Moreno announced that the city of Manila had been doing well in its fight against COVID-19, as the number of active cases in the city continues to dive for the past several days.

Just the same, he advised the residents not to be complacent, to continue being vigilant and to still wear face masks all the time, in the wake of the Omicron variant.

Moreno said that for the sixth straight day on Friday, the number of active, COVID cases in Manila remained below 100. On December 9, the total was at 91 with one death.

Lacuna said the quarantine facilities remain to be vacant as they have been for months now, a proof that the city’s aggressive mass vaccination program is already reaping its benefits.

AUTHOR PROFILE