Default Thumbnail

Isko visits Cavite City fire victims, vows aid

February 14, 2022 Marlon Purification 308 views

PRESIDENTIAL candidate Manila City Mayor Isko Moreno Domagoso on Sunday night vowed to give close to P8 million in cash assistance to 790 families displaced by a massive fire that broke out in Cavite City’s four barangays over the weekend.

Visiting the fire victims who are temporarily sheltered at the Ladislao Diwa Elementary School last night, Moreno announced that all the 790 families whose houses were razed to the ground will receive P10,000 in cash per household from his personal fund and donations from friends and supporters.

During the surprise visit, Moreno told residents to use the money to rebuild their homes and for other necessities. “Sana makapagbigay kami ng konting pag-asa at tulong upang makabalik na kayo agad sa inyong lugar, na maramdaman ninyo na may kapwa Pilipino na nagmamalasakit po sa inyo,” he told fire victims, who cheered loudly when he announced his financial aid. The 47-year-old presidential aspirant was accompanied by his vice-presidential candidate Dr. Willie Ong and Aksyon Demokratiko senatorial bets Dr. Carl Balita, Samira Gutoc, and Jopet Sison.

They were joined at the site by incumbent Cavite 1st District Rep. Francis Blue Abaya and other local officials.

According to Moreno, he can relate to the fire victims’ situation as he also experienced being homeless several times when he used to live in the slums of Tondo, Manila during his childhood before becoming a public servant for the last 23 years – and that was why he had to visit the affected families at the temporary evacuation center to “give them a little relief.”

“Naranasan ko rin mawalan ng tirahan minsan sa buhay ko at ito ay napakasakit at mahirap. Kaya naman noong ako ang naging alkade sa Maynila, binigyan ko ng prayoridad ang mga pabahay para sa mga batang Maynila,” the Aksyon Demokratiko standard bearer said.

“Sa awa ng Diyos at kung tayo ay papalarin, hindi lamang sa Maynila ito mangyayari kundi gagawin natin sa buong bansa,” the presidential aspirant said.

“Isa sa mga minimum basic needs ng tao ang shelter or isang masisilungan. At diyan tayo nakatutok, ang mapunan man lamang ang basic needs ng ating mga kababayan upang magkaroon ng pantay-pantay na oportunidad ang lahat,” Moreno said.

Since he became the mayor of Manila more than two years ago, Moreno launched major housing projects that included the Tondominium 1 and 2 in Tondo district, the Binondominium which is targeted to be completed in the first quarter of 2022, and the ongoing construction of the San Lazaro and Pedro Gil residences.

Tondominium 1 has been turned over to its beneficiaries recently while Tondomiun 2 will also soon be ready to welcome its residents. The twin project is part of the “Build, Build, Build” Manila housing project, which is funded by a P15 billion loan from the Development Bank of the Philippines and Land Bank of the Philippines. In July last year, Moreno inaugurated the Basecommunity Housing project, the in-city two-story townhouse project for 229 poor families.

Since he became Manila councilor at age 23, Manila vice mayor at age 32, and mayor at age 44, it has been the practice of Moreno to visit families displaced by the fire and give them cash assistance to rebuild their houses. Last December, Moreno was in Bgy. 775, Sagrada Familia in San Andres, Manila to provide P10,000 cash assistance to each of the 197 families who were rendered homeless by a fire that struck their community last Dec. 7.

In November last year, Moreno flew to Cebu and provided cash assistance to the 944 families affected by the November 26 fire in a residential area in Bgy. Mambaling, Cebu City. He gave P10,000 to each family who lost their belongings to the fire. During his visit to Cebu, he also checked on the condition of the displaced families who are living in temporary shelters at the Alaska Mambaling Elementary School and Mambaling Barangay Hall gymnasium.

Moreno was accompanied by Deputy Speaker and Cebu 3rd District Rep. Pablo John “PJ” Garcia, who narrated his generosity in helping fire victims in his speech during the Feb. 8 Proclamation Rally of Aksyon Demokratiko national candidates.

“Bawat pamilyang nasunugan magkakaroon ng P10,000. Wag n’yo ipangto-tong-its ha? Ibili n’yo ng yero para sa bubong at plywood para sa dingding,” Moreno told the residents of Barangay Mambaling.