Isko

Isko aids Odette victims in Bohol

December 21, 2021 Marlon Purification 309 views

PRESIDENTIAL aspirant Manila Mayor Isko Moreno Domagoso on Monday flew to Bohol to personally hand over an initial P1 million in financial assistance and four generator sets for typhoon victims in the island province.

The generator sets were donated by Mr. Eric Sy of Powerhouse, while P500,000 of the financial assistance was allotted by the local government of Manila based on the resolution passed by the Manila City council in a special session last Friday.

The other half of the financial assistance was donated by various well-meaning personalities and organizations that included Manila Representatives Rolan Valeriano (2nd District) and Edward Maceda (4th District), Mr. Robbie Oca of the Associated Workers Union of Manila, and the Metro Urdaneta Club Inc.

Moreno said he visited the province not only to give an initial assistance to “help in our own little way” the people of Bohol, but also to personally assess what other kind of assistance they can extend later on.

“Layunin ng pagbisita na ito na makapagbigay ng munting tulong sa ating mga kababayan na matinding tinamaan ng Bagyong Odette,” said the 47-year-old local chief executive.

Moreno was warmly welcomed by Governor Arthur Yap, who expressed his gratitude for the generator sets and financial help.

Apart from Moreno, the governor also thanked the businessmen of Pangasinan for their financial assistance.

Yap later accompanied Mayor Isko to the command center to show the damage caused by Odette to Bohol, as well as the additional needs of the people.

Bohol was under Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal No. 4 on Thursday when Typhoon Odette hit the province. It made two landfalls in Bohol – President Carlos P. Garcia, and in Bien Unido – leaving severely damaged homes, buildings, establishments and government facilities and infrastructure, as well as communication facilities and power lines all over the province.

For the Manila City government and Manileňos, extending assistance to calamity victims is nothing new under the leadership of Mayor Isko.

The city government of Manila had been regularly sending help either in manpower, relief goods or cash assistance to any part of the country hit by calamity.

So much so that even before appeals for help were voiced by local governments hardest-hit by Odette, Moreno and the Manila City government wasted no time in putting together an assortment of assistance to help those who have been displaced by the super typhoon in the Visayas and Mindanao areas.

On Friday, the Manila City Council allotted P2.5 million in assistance — P1 million for Cebu, and P500,000 each for the provinces of Bohol, Leyte and Surigao del Norte.

Moreno also launched “Tulong ng Manilenyo sa mga Nasalanta ni Odette” donation drive and appealed to Manila residents and business groups to pitch in as a way of helping communities in southern and central Philippines devastated by the super typhoon.

“Thankful as we are that Metro Manila and Luzon were spared by the Typhoon Odette, I now appeal to kind-hearted Manileňos to share whatever they can for our Visayan and Mindanao brothers severely affected by the typhoon,” Moreno said.

“No small amount, no big amount. Any amount, any material, malaking bagay na yan sa mga kababayan natin. And I’m praying na maka-recover agad sila. Pero umasa sila, may mga kapatid sila dito sa Maynila,” he said.

Leilani Marie “Lei” Honrado Lacuna, Liga ng mga Barangay – Manila Chapter President is spearheading the City of Manila’s relief efforts.

For food donations, drop-off point is at no. 813 P. Noval St. corner Sergio H. Loyola, Sampaloc, Manila. Contact details: 0969-4596261; 0969-4596262; 0927-7971723. Point person is Marissa David.

For cash donations can be deposited at PNB Account No. 167770003504, Account Name: Kaagapay ng Manileno Foundation, Inc.