Default Thumbnail

Holy Week celebration generally peaceful — Azurin

April 10, 2023 Alfred P. Dalizon 230 views

PHILIPPINE National Police chief General Rodolfo S. Azurin Jr. described as generally peaceful and orderly the celebration of Holy Week across the country.

The top cop credited police visibility and civilian cooperation for the peaceful observance of the Lenten season. According to him, the peaceful situation could also be attributed to the strict implementation of the “Oplan Ligtas Sumvac 2023”, the nationwide-coordinated police operations that aim to provide security during the Lenten season and summer vacation.

During the past Holy Week, the PNP said there were 57 cases of drowning and 11 vehicular accidents reported in Ilocos-Pangasinan, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon and Calabarzon regions.

The 11 vehicular accidents left four persons including a police major dead while 62 people, mostly young vacationers, were reported to have drowned in 57 incidents which took place in the four regions.

However, Gen. Azurin said that the crime environment still showed a significant change as the eight focus crimes decreased by 14.69 percent from 10,954 incidents in 2022 or from January 1 to April 8 last year to 9,345 incidents during the same period this year.

“Deployment of personnel will focus now on bus terminals, seaports, and airports as activities and movement of the traveling public will be more in these areas,” Gen. Azurin said.

The PNP chief also reiterated his appeal to travelers, including those using their own vehicles, to take extra precautions by observing traffic rules and speed limits to prevent vehicular accidents.

Gen. Azurin likewise reminded the public to watch over their children whenever they go swimming or on any family outing.

“To all parents, please do not leave your children unattended and avoid drinking liquors while swimming to avoid cases of drowning,” he said.

In Metro Manila, National Capital Region Police Office director, Major Gen. Edgar Alan O. Okubo said they will remain on heightened alert as millions head back home after the Lenten break.

The NCPRO chief said his men will continue their deployment in bus terminals, airports and seaports and major roads and other thoroughfares leading to the metropolis to provide assistance to the public and ensure their safety and security.

PNP Public Information Office chief, Colonel Redrico A. Maranan said that the same security alert will be observed all over the country as Gen. Azurin ordered tougher measures to protect people going to transport hubs, commercial areas, places of worship and various tourist destinations.

AUTHOR PROFILE