Eleazar orders thorough probe on radioman, lawyer’s murders

July 23, 2021 Alfred P. Dalizon 320 views

PHILIPPINE National Police chief General Guillermo Lorenzo T. Eleazar on Friday said he has ordered a thorough investigation into the killings of a Cebu City radioman and a lawyer and her husband in Davao City.

The top cop vowed to bring justice to the victims and their families as he assured there will be no let-up in their effort to identify and arrest the suspects behind the two deadly gun attacks.

Eleazar said the Cebu Police Provincial Office is leading the investigation into the killing of radio commentator Reynante “Rey” Cortes in front of the DyRB Radyo Pilipino station along N. Bacalso Ave. in Bgy. Mambaling, Cebu City on Thursday.

“Walang puwang lalo na sa isang demokrasyang bansa ang pananakot, pananakit at pagpatay sa mga taong tinuturing na simbolo ng malayang pagpapahayag,” he said.

“Nakikiisa tayo sa panawagan ng hustisya sa pagpaslang sa Cebu radio commentator na si Renante ‘Rey’ Cortes at inutos ko na ang pagbuo ng Special Investigation Task Group upang mapabilis ang pag-iimbestiga at pagdakip sa mga taong may kagagawan nito,” he added.

Eleazar assured that the police will look into all possible angles in the incident, including threats that the victim may have received.

Police investigators are already coordinating with Cortes’ family, friends and colleagues for information that could shed light on the incident, he said.

“All angles will be investigated to determine the motive in the crime, especially if this was related to his profession. The local police will also investigate if there were threats to his life prior to the incident,” the top PNP official said.

“Nananawagan tayo sa mga maaaring makapagbigay ng impormasyon sa kasong ito, makipagtulungan kayo sa mga awtoridad upang agarang maresolba at mabigyan ng hustisya ang pagkamatay ni Cortes,” he added.

Eleazar said that Police Regional Office (PRO) 11 is also currently investigation the killing of Atty. Hilda Mahinay-Sapie and her husband Muhaimen Mohammad Sapie in Davao City by a suspected sniper last July 14.

The victims who are known for giving free legal advice in their radio program were allegedly killed by a “sniper” in front of their residence.

Eleazar said PRO11 authorities under Brigadier Gen. Filmore B. Escobal are already determining the possible motive of the crime and the identity of the killers.

“Nagbigay na ako ng kautusan sa Regional Director ng PRO XI, Police Brigadier General Filmore Escobal, na tutukan ang kasong ito at patuloy akong bigyan ng updates sa progreso ng imbestigasyon,” the top cop said.

“Sa unang tingin pa lang, makikita na planado ang insidenteng ito kaya ang tinututukan natin ngayon ay ang mga posibleng motibo at pagkakakilanlan ng mga taong may kinalaman sa pagplaplano sa krimeng ito,” he added.

An initial investigation showed that the couple had just finished their radio program when they were killed.

Eleazar expressed confidence that this case would be resolved in no time.

“In the meantime, let us wait for the result of the investigation. Tiwala ako na mareresolba natin ito,” he said.

The Davao City police said it is looking at all possible motives behind the twin murder case including the possibility it could be related to cases of land disputes which were previously handled by the victims.

Escobal said his men are already reviewing CCTV footages in the area which could be of help in their ongoing investigation.

AUTHOR PROFILE