De-Vega

DFA: Probe on death of 2 PH workers in UA ongoing

August 11, 2022 Cristina Lee-Pisco 262 views

THE Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Thursday said the investigation on the death of two Filipino workers in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is still ongoing and that “no suspects have been identified yet.”

Foreign Affairs Undersecretary for Migrant Workers Affairs Eduardo Jose de Vega said the two male Filipinos whom he refused to identify, were found dead in their Dubai apartment “supposedly locked from inside” last month.

“So far, there has been no perpetrator identified. And as I was saying, we would like to work on it discreetly. That’s why I’m not even mentioning the names of the relatives,” he said.

The DFA is in touch with the relatives of the deceased and assured that legal assistance funds will be used to ensure that justice is served.

He added the Philippine Consulate General in Dubai and the country’s legal retainer are closely following developments on the case.

“We are promised updates when more findings come out,” he added.

He said the agency also closely coordinates with the newly-created Department of Migrant Workers.

De Vega also assured other distressed overseas Filipinos that the DFA’s Assistance-to-Nationals is ready to assist them.

AUTHOR PROFILE