WHAT'S NEWSEE ALL
People's TonightSHOW ALL
Danao: 1st day of COC filing in Metro Manila ‘generally peaceful’
THE first day of filing of certificates of candidacy (COC) for national and local positions in different parts of Metro Manila was generally peaceful as National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) director Major General Vicente D. Danao Jr. said they are fully implementing guidelines from the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to keep the event as orderly as possible, while protecting the general public from COVID-19 at the same time.
The official has led the inspection of their command post and different venues for the filing of the COCs and Certificate of Nomination and Acceptance or CONA in the metropolis this week as part of their preparations for the 2022 national and election elections.
Among the areas he had already inspected were their Advance Command Post in CPP Complex, Pasay City; ETON Centris in Quezon City, Sanciangco Street in front of the Bgy. Catmon multi-purpose hall in Malabon City; M. Naval Street in front of the Comelec office in Bgy. Sipac-Almacen in Navotas City; the Caloocan North City Hall in Zapote Road, Bgy. 177; and the Comelec office in Malinta, Valenzuela City.
Southern Police District (SPD) director, Brigadier Gen. Jimili L. Macaraeg said that the first day of filing of COCs in Pasay City was generally peaceful.
“There were no untoward incidents reports on Friday and unlike in the past, supporters were not allowed inside the Harbor Tent area where the candidates are to file their candidacy, the SPD director said.
The NCRPO has conducted simulation exercises (SIMEX) on different anticipated incidents that might transpire before and during the actual filing of the COC and CONA by candidates.
Ground commanders supervised the SIMEX designed to keep them ready on what actions should be taken in different critical situations which include possible shooting incidents, bomb-related threats, earthquake, presence of a mob as well as other untoward incidents.
“Nais po nating masiguro ang ating kahandaan sa pagtitiyak na magiging ligtas at payapa ang gaganaping filing ng COC/CONA. Sa ngayon, matapos ang ating masusing pagsasanay, inaasahan po natin na tayo ay mas naging handa sa pagpapanatili ng kaayusan at katahimikan sa nalalapit na araw ng pagsusumite ng COC/CONA at sa Halalan 2022,” said Danao.
The NCRPO director said that a total of 2,520 personnel including 1,891 policemen have been deployed to secure the week-long election event.
In Pasay City, Macaraeg said they have completely secured the venue and the entire CCP complex and are managing and controlling traffic and passage of both civilians and motorists.
The NCRPO is also ensuing that candidates will strictly observe the minimum public health safety protocols set by the Comelec in the area.
As of 5 p.m. Friday, there were already six presidential aspirants led by Senator Manny Pacquiao who have filed their COCs. Pacquiao was joined by his running mate, party-list representative Lito Atienza.
Fourteen senatorial candidates led by Loren Legarda and Chiz Escudero also filed their COCs.
The NCRPO will guard the filing of COCs by candidates for the presidency, vice presidency, and members of Congress and local elective positions until October 8.