Default Thumbnail

Bulacan town police chief shot dead!

March 26, 2023 Alfred P. Dalizon 362 views

STILL unidentified motorcycle-riding robbers shot to death the chief of the San Miguel Municipal Police Station in Bulacan around 10 p.m. Saturday before fleeing.

Lieutenant Colonel Marlon G. Serna suffered a gunshot wound in the head and died while undergoing hospital treatment following the encounter in Barangay Buhol na Mangga in San Ildefonso municipality, said a report from the Police Regional Office 13 (PRO13).

A 17-year-old teenager identified as Jay Jay Gabriel, a resident of Bgy. Soledad in Sta. Rosa City, Nueva Ecija, was also wounded in the incident and was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

Following the death of Lt. Col. Serna, a total of P1.2 million in reward money was offered for any information that would lead to the identification and arrest of the killers.

Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Benjamin ‘Benhur’ C. Abalos Jr. said he will give P500,000 to the informants while the PNP leadership headed by General Rodolfo S. Azurin Jr. and PRO3 director, Brigadier General Jose S. Hidalgo Jr. added P200,000 and P300,000 respectively to the bounty.

Bulacan Gov. Daniel Fernando added P200,000 to the reward money bringing to P1.2 million the bounty offered for any individuals who could provide the reliable information that would result in the capture of the suspects.

An initial investigation conducted by the San Ildefonso MPS led by Lt. Col. Russel Denis E. Reburiano showed that prior to the shooting incident, a team of San Miguel policemen led by Lt. Col. Serna conducted a follow-up operation regarding a robbery incident in Bgy. San Juan, San Miguel which took place around 9:30 p.m.

The San Miguel policemen were in a dimly-lit portion of Bgy. Buhol na Mangga in San Ildefonso when the suspects launched their attack.

Lt. Col. Serna, who used his own Ford Ranger pick-up in going after the suspects was shot in the head by the gunmen who fled towards the direction of nearby Bgy. Akle.

The suspects were reported to be riding a Mio motorcycle.

Gen. Azurin ordered the PRO3 and the Bulacan Police Provincial Office to launch a massive manhunt for the suspects and conduct a thorough investigation into the incident.

The top cop, in behalf of the 227,000-strong police force likewise extended his deepest sympathies to the family of Lt. Col. Serna, the latest policeman to be killed in the line of duty.

The PNP also wished for the speedy recovery of the injured teenager.

“We ask the public to remain calm and to refrain from spreading unverified information that may cause panic and confusion. Let us support the ongoing investigation and trust that justice will be served,” said Bulacan police director, Col. Relly B. Arnedo.

Brig. Gen. Hidalgo said there will be no stone left unturned in the investigation into the circumstances that led to the killing of the San Miguel, Bulacan police chief.

“This is unfortunate news for us as one of our members was killed in line with our diligent effort to arrest lawless elements and while nothing can make up for his loss, along with our deepest condolences, we assure his bereaved family that they will get the necessary benefits that is due to them,” the Central Luzon police director said.

“Still, we are committed in our fight against all forms of criminality and we will continue to be relentless in our campaign at all costs,” he added. By ALFRED DALIZON, ZAIDA DELOS REYES & BERNARD GALANG