Default Thumbnail

Boy,16, dies, 23 down after ammonia leaked

June 20, 2023 Edd Reyes 224 views

A 16-year-old boy with comorbidities died while 23 others were hospitalized following an ammonia leak at a cold storage facility Monday night in Navotas City.

Navotas City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) head Vonne Villanueva said the ammonia leak occurred at the Icy Point Cold Storage located in Bgy. North Bay Boulevard North (NBBN) at around 11 p.m. prompting employees of the cold storage to evacuate the facility while hundreds of residents in the area were also moved to an evacuation center.

The boy, with pre-existing condition, was rushed to Manila Central University (MCU) hospital but later died while 23 residents in the area were rushed to Tondo Medical Center and Navotas City Hospital (NCH) due to difficulty in breathing.

The Rescue Team from CDRRMO and Navotas Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) tried to close the valve to stop the leak but an explosion occurred causing the fire to break out at around 12:05 a.m. yesterday.

The Navotas City Public Information Office (PIO) said that at around 1:57 a.m., the fire was declared fire out by the BFP-Navotas and subsequently announced that they have secured the control valve that stopped the ammonia leak prompting residents to return to their respective homes.

Only two patients remained at the NCH while two others were reportedly still under observation at the Tondo Medical Center, as of 8 a.m. yesterday.

The City Government of Navotas, under the leadership of Mayor John Rey Tiangco said they have ordered the temporary closure of Icy Point Cold Storage pending investigation that will be conducted jointly by BFP-Navotas, City Health Office, Sanidad, City Environment and Natural Resources Office, and Business Permits and Licensing Office.

AUTHOR PROFILE