Eduardo M. Año

Authorities prepared for Marcos inauguration — DILG

June 28, 2022 Jun I. Legaspi 116 views

INTERIOR and Local Government Secretary Eduardo M. Año yesterday assured the peaceful and orderly conduct of President-elect Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s inauguration on June 30 at the National Museum.

“All hands are on deck to ensure the peaceful and orderly conduct of President-elect Marcos’ inauguration. We have prepared for this and we will execute all protocols as planned for the success of this historic occasion,” Año said.

“With only two days before the inauguration, the Sub-Committee on Security, Traffic and Communication (SCSTC), chaired by the DILG, proudly declares that we are all systems go in terms of security preparations,” he added.

Año said the SCSTC had been preparing a month ago to ensure the successful staging of President-elect Marcos’ inauguration as the 17th President of the Philippines. He said that SCSTC member-agencies such as Philippine National Police (PNP), Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP), Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Department of Information and Communications Technology and the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) have all been working closely for the said event.

Considering the enormity of the task in securing the inauguration, he added that the Sub-Committee was expanded to include the Department of Foreign Affairs; Department of Science and Technology; Philippine Coast Guard; Office of Civil Defense – NDRRMC; Department of Public Works and Highways; Department of Social Welfare and Development; and the National Intelligence Coordinating Agency, among others, “to guarantee that all facets of this crucial event are well-covered and attended to.”

In his speech in a press conference organized by the SCSTC, Año said that the PNP activated its Task Force Manila Shield with more than 18,000 police officers, soldiers, coast guard personnel and other force multipliers to be deployed and on stand-by across Metro Manila.

He added that checkpoints and chokepoints will also be set up in all the entry points to Manila starting today, June 28, and a gun ban has been imposed in Metro Manila starting yesterday which will be in full effect until July 2.

The MMDA issued closure of main roads around the National Museum such as Padre Burgos Avenue, Finance Road, Mendiola Street, Ayala Boulevard, Legarda Street, and Recto Avenue, among others, to give way to the inauguration.

With the expected influx of people attending the inauguration, Año reminded the public to adhere to the protocols and measures set up by the SCSTC.

“Sa ating mga kababayan na dadalo sa makasaysayang araw na ito, we ask for your cooperation and compliance to the measures set up by the SCSTC para sa matagumpay na pagsasagawa ng inauguration ng ating bagong pangulo,” Año said.

Año urged the public to follow the minimum public health standards (MPHS) such as wearing of face masks, using sanitizer and alcohol, and if possible bring with them their vaccination card. We must not put our guards down in order to protect ourselves from the virus and so as not to make the inauguration of PBBM a super spreader event,” he said.

Año likewise reminded demonstrators and rallyists to utilize designated freedom parks in expressing their sentiments during the inauguration as he directed the PNP to exercise maximum tolerance in addressing any demonstrations or protest actions.

“Ang ating guidance sa ating kapulisan ay exercise maximum tolerance. Respetuhin natin ang kanilang freedom of expression, whether sila ay pro or anti sa ating incoming president,” he said.

He added that the SCSTC is prepared for any eventuality tackling and simulating various scenarios that could occur during the inauguration spearheaded by the PNP, AFP and the BFP but underscores that maximum tolerance is the priority. “We are prepared for any eventuality. We have simulated how we will handle these situations regarding the rallyists. Handa po tayo ngunit pangunahin ang maximum tolerance.”

AUTHOR PROFILE